Friday, August 3, 2012

Thoughts on the Summer Tech Class

                The first part of class was very informative. I was appreciative that there was a wide range of content area teachers and from a variety of school types. I found it interesting how the available resources changed between the different school. I had not realized just how flexible you have to be as a teacher. The panelists also had some amazing insights into how to get students involved and to help them by using different forms of technology. There was a point in the presentation when we started talking about different websites that are useful in getting around certain things that may be blocked by the school. I liked this becuase I think that there are some amazing websites out there that can be useful, it is always nice when somone points out the ones that work.
         
                   In the second part of the class I liked being able to reflect on the class as a whole and to hear about what the other groups panels talked about. I can honestly say that I do not share many of the other MACers opinions in regards to this class. I found this class to be useful and helped me to think of ideas of how to get the students more invovled with technology. I will admit that there were some things that I initially was skeptical about, such as video games in the classroom. I agreed with all the benefits that video games have for students, expecially with regards to their ability to form strategies and pedict future consequences and to promote higher order thinking in the students. After today's class I have come to realize that the games I was thinking about are not necessarily all the games that are out there that students would also find stimulating. I was very interested to hear about quia.com and to hopefully be able to explore this in the future.

                  I understand that this class was short and that we will be taking this class again in the upcoming semester. With this being said, I also understand that not everything that everyone in the class wanted to know about could be taught. For example, I would have loved to learn about more math programs, however, I also understand that this subject has a very limited scope to less than 10 people in the class, so this is not always pratical. I think that the websites and tools that we have learned about in class are useful in the broad sense. These tools are here should we ever need them and we know how to use them. I am not saying that I will necessarily be using every single thing that we talked about, but I know about these resources and I know how to use them effectively which is important to me. Also, another thing that these tools are good for, is helping students manage their online lives. Granted some of the students may not have as intense online lives as some of us, they will. Helping students to grow comfortable with these tools and letting them to decide which ones are best for them is important. Not everything we learned about has to be tied to a lesson plan, we now have this knowledge whcih we can share with our students to help them become better at using technology in a productive and efficient manner.

We all have different likes and dislikes, each of the told we learned about had enough options to reach all us in some way. You don't have to use everything, but one day when you need dropbox (or whatever) you will have the skills to us it. This is what I have learned from class this semester.

3 comments:

  1. They were a motley crew, weren't they? I also enjoyed the diversity of ideas that they presented us with. I'm glad that we are receiving input from so many sources. This was a great lesson because the former MAC students' perspectives on tech in the classroom. They went through the same program and now they are using what they learned. I also think that this class is very helpful. Even if we don't agree with this class, we must take part in it and use it to work with our computer age students. I like nature and typewriters, but I have to adapt to the modern world so that my students can too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a little surprised, too, about the concerns other students were voicing on Friday. I know some people wished we would have spent time in class learning how to use SmartBoards, but I agree with Kristin that that's something we can learn on the job- I'm not worried about it. I agree that our professors provided us with many valuable resources that we can return to when we enter our classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciated the previous MACers coming in to talk about their schools. I am really excited to start student teaching now, and hearing their stories and experiences just made me want to be there already! There are a few different schools that they talked about that I would really like to visit. It is so great that our professors were able to help us network and get to know previous students. We can learn so much from them!

    ReplyDelete