Thursday, August 2, 2012

Awesomely Appalling

         For my two readings from edu bloggers I read the NSTA blog on the Science of the Summer Olympics (http://nstacommunities.org/blog/2012/07/30/science-of-the-summer-olympics-missy-franklin-fluid-dynamics/comment-page-1/) and the blog Learning Math, Teaching Math (http://www.edb.utexas.edu/empson/?p=68#respond).

        I found the blog from the NSTA to be interesting in that they provide a video series (for FREE!) in conjunction with NBC about how the science of the summer Olympics. I found this to be interesting because this is something that all student can get behind and have an inherent interest in. I have thought a lot about how to use current events to make math interesting and engaging for the students. This is something I would definitely like to learn more about and to use in the classroom to teach a variety of concepts.

        The second blog I found was on how (even adults) have trouble with fractions and subtraction of decimal numbers. Although, I don't disagree that this should not be happening, the only way that we can prevent this from happening in the future it to teach the students we have about fractions and about dividing decimal numbers. Again, I find that students think this is difficult because they do not see how this will relate to their lives, however, this blog show a clear example of how you may need to use this information in said future.

        I find it interesting the things that we can come up with to help get students engaged in and interested in math, however, at the same time I find it appalling that we cannot make the current curriculum more engaging and exciting for students to learn. If we could do this with fractions and decimal numbers then maybe students wouldn't have such a hard time with this concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment