Sunday, July 22, 2012

Missed Class....Portfolio

               This post will be short and sweet since I missed class. The first half of class where gaming was talked about was not recorded. This was the section of the class I was most looking forward to hearing. I am hoping that this coming week I can have the chance to get a brief overview of the discussion.
               For the other part of the class, I found that making the eportfolio was interesting. I enjoyed finding the pictures of what inspires me and thinking about why I chose the pictures that I did. By dong it at home, I may have had a slight advantage because I had access all of my pictures. I spent a little time thinking of what type of pictures I would pick. I ended up picking ones of some of my family and of my home. I also thought about the video I would pick, what type of video inspires me. Again, I chose to go with a video of my nephew singing itsy bitsy spider. I love my family, and I am inspired because I know what type of teacher I want them to have. My hope is to be the type of teacer that I expect those that teach my neices and nephews to be because I expect them to achieve a lot in life and to do so they have to have great teaches.
               At the conference, I learned about different strategies and techniques to help to engage students and to help them advocate for themselves. I learned about different ways to structure lessons so that you can reach all levels of students with the same activity through the use of differentiated instruction. In this presentation I also learned about different websites that can be used to help engage the students in lessons and assignments such as: http://goanimate.com/ and http://www.glogster.com/.
In the other session I attended I was able to meet people from the Voices Against Violence Organization. They talked with the group about classroom management, we also talked in smaller groups about potential strategies in this area, http://vavpgh.org/.

My online portfolio on weebly can be found here: http://kathlyenharrisonportfolio.weebly.com/.

"Mathematics compares the most diverse phenomena and discovers the secret analogies that unite them."
- Joseph Fourier

4 comments:

  1. I would love to hear more about your conference and what you learned about differentiated instruction! I'm really interested in this topic and would love to know what the speakers said. Thanks for sharing those websites! They are great.

    I also really like what you said about using weebly and using your family to show why you want to be a teacher. That's a really great thing to share with potential employers, etc. so they know where you are coming from. You've really made me think more about what I could add to my weebly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it comes differentiated instruction I learned:

      1. Change the Content
      a. Complexity: Concrete to abstract --> Do/View/Construe
      b. Resources: Text/Media
      c. Environment: TAPS
      T--> total group (direct instruction)
      A--> Alone
      P --> Pairs (group work 2 ppl)
      S---> Small group (group work 3+ppl)
      2. Change the Process
      a. Direct Instruction: Hook them, Foster curiosity, and assign it in a unique and different way (Dice, tri-archaic, menu, etc.)
      b. Cooperative Learning: Each-one --> Teach one (have them teach)
      c. Inquiry: PBL = Project Based Learning
      3. Change the Product
      a. Entry Points: how do they learn
      b. Expressive Modes: how they express it
      c. Accountability: how we grade it/ score it, Formative/Portfolio/Performance Based.

      This was the basic information from the lesson. I have some documents that I could send you if you were interested, and I have her information if you want to know more about this. She said emailing her on this subject were okay.

      Delete
  2. I think it's really cool that your family inspires you to become a better teacher. I feel that way too- when I think about the kind of teachers I want my younger brothers to have, and all the great opportunities that will open up for them, it makes me want to provide that experience for other people. It's nice that those personal relationships can encourage us to branch out and serve in a larger social context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That video of your nephew is so sweet! That makes me want to become a great teacher too :) I also learned a lot about differentiation instruction at the WWTF Conference. The first lecture that I went to was focused on how to teach boys and keep them interested in learning in an educational system that appears to be a more positive experience for girls. Really interesting. Differentiation can have so many aspects such as reaching out to all the different levels of learners as you specified, but additionally reaching out to students with all different types of interests.

    ReplyDelete