Sunday, July 1, 2012

Reflections on the use of Technology and Soda

                    As I read the article for class I was constantly thinking of how I might be able to integrate technology into a math classroom. One of the methods I found most interesting was the idea of using podcasts and video podcasts. As a teacher making the podcasts can be useful to students to have those lessons as reference. Another way I thought of using the video podcasts would be to make instructional videos on how to solve certain problems in a step by step process. A few weeks ago I saw videos on youtube where students had to create a math rap video for extra credit in their class. At the time I thought this was humorous, now I see that it was a unique assignment that got students thinking about math in a fun and creative way.
                    In class we talked about the use of electronic clickers in the classroom. I have had some experience with these and I found them to be a useful tool because they allow you to interact in the class without the potential to look "stupid." In my 511 Stem classes this past week we talked about how  we, as teachers, can create a safe environment where students will feel comfortable answering and asking questions in class. One of the best uses for clickers is to help you see where students stand on a specific topic because with the quick relay of results you can see where the students are struggling.
                  There were times in class when I thought that we were getting slightly off topic, but by listening to some of the thoughts of my classmates on how to incorporate technology across different subject matters I began to see how useful these methods can be. Like I mentioned before I have found that podcasts can be helpful but other than that I remember discussing the use of interactive programs and labs in the classroom. In biology, physics, and chemistry classrooms labs can be apart of everyday class activities. For math these types of labs can often times be difficult. From the discussions in class (both 504 and 402) and the reading I have discovered that there are a variety of interactive programs on computers that allow the students to ask questions and investigate different types of math problems. One such program that I have found has been geogebra, which is a free interactive geometry program. I am excited to learn about more uses for technology in math classrooms.
                 The last thing that we talked about in class was the article pertaining to the soda ban in NY. Although I don't agree with the ban of large size sodas, I admit that there are ways around the ban. In class someone mentioned about how we should set good examples by not bringing in certain types of sodas. On this opinion, I disagree. I don't believe that it means I am setting a bad example for my students by drinking Mountain Dew. Ultimately, I believe that we should all make our own decisions on what or what not to drink in relation to types of sodas, and that this is not an issue of being a role model. I know that Mountain Dew is bad for me, but that doesn't make me want to stop drinking it. I felt like class got off topic in relation to this issue, slightly, and we turned away from the purpose of the article and the ban.

"The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple." ~ S. Gudder

5 comments:

  1. I really found your comment about students making a rap Youtube video about math to be especially interesting. While this may seem like a humorous thing to do, I think it is important to consider the idea that videos like these can make subjects seem "cool"--a phrase that can be extremely powerful with regard to a subject. Making these types of videos also help students to interact with the material in a new way, which can also be powerful in their own learning. I also think this gets back to the idea about students being excited about learning--if we allow students to make a Youtube video about a class, they may be more apt to get excited about the material, which can really carry them far in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your point about how it's possible to get off-topic but still be productive. This probably applies even more to me as an English teacher, but I love this idea of making connections among students while trying to pull students back on task. And if you want to drink mountain dew, you dew you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Podcasts and raps! That's fantastic! When I think of math, all I think of is problem sets, book work, and white dry-erase boards. I had a hard time thinking how one could use technology to make a more creative math learning environment. On the subject of mountain dew - I think you drinking mountain dew is not a negative thing. If you had a mountain dew fountain in your room - that might give your students a different message. Everything in moderation... Thanks for your great insights! I will definitely be applying some of them to my future classroom as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also find the use of podcasts to be very useful. I am a Spanish major and I have found a few podcasts that are very good for the advancement of vocabulary and grammar. The thing that interests me most about them is the fact that they come from around the world and contain various points of view.
    Humor and other such attention grabbers that aid students in maintaining their interest in class is essential, I'm glad that you bring that up. I also love rap.
    The use of clickers in class does create the ability for students who worry about their peers view of them answer questions in private. I think that the use of email as a way for students to contact you whenever they are unsure of the course content is another great way to benefit from technology in terms of shy students being able to ask questions in private. We just have to let them know that we are available.
    I also believe that it is up to each person what they put in their bodies, however I understand the influence that we can have on our students and I would like to provide them with the healthiest role model that I can. This is becoming increasingly important as our health problems in the U.S. augment each year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kathlyeen! Like mostly everyone else, I also enjoyed what you had to say about the benefits, if you will, of getting off topic. I mean, always adjusting our lessons plans and such is something that all of the instructors have really stressed with us. It is going to happen. I know in my blog reflection post, I expressed frustration with the way that the conversation moved, but after reading your post, it totally hit me that that is the way it is probably going to be in my classroom! Especially as an English teacher :)

    I also wanted to just throw in my experience with clickers because I totally forgot that they are "technology" in the classroom until I read your reference! I love clickers. I know in a lot of my classes doing my undergrad at U of M, we would use iclickers and our participation points would be based on that. We wouldn't be marked down if we got them wrong, we just had to answer then. And I will be honest, those iclickers kept me doing the readings and they kept me going to class. They are a great motivator! What a great example of how technology can really boost motivation, participation, and attendance. Even the something as simple as a little clicker.

    ReplyDelete